Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A letter To UniSA: re Aboriginal Empoyment Opportunities

From: Maxwell, Kym Thomas - maxkt001
Sent: Wed 10/27/2010 6:52 AM
To: Joan Gibbs
Cc: david.bruce@unisa.u.au
Subject: Voluntary work certain Ngarrindjeri families associated to the Coorong IPA


Hello to Joan Gibbs and to David Bruce from Kym Maxwell

Joan I have had no confirmation from the EPA that I will be proceeding with my cadetship. I am concerned that my agreement to do voluntary work for UniSA on the Coorong project has jeopardised the position with the EPA. There are some logistic problems that I face 1: If I don't get paid employment I simply cant afford to take time running around after other people 2: If I don't get paid employment with the EPA I will have to spend the break seeking employment or working with my wife in the family business 3: My first obligation is to my wife and my family and it would be unfair for me to give time to others whilst I am unemployed and not bringing money into the house. I am certain that other people would not be expected to work for no pay whilst their family suffers.
In view of the circumstances, unless I get a paid position I will not be able to do any further voluntary work as our family budget cannot support those types of activities. If I was active in an honours degree and getting an income associated to research on the Coorong then I could afford to participate. I am waiting for a reply from the EPA and my ability to continue with the project manager position on the Coorong will depend upon the response I receive and if I get paid employment over the holiday period. When I took the position I thought that the cadetship would be going ahead but I have not had confirmation; the political and business situation between UniSA and the particular IPA on the Coorong has not been properly disclosed to me and the dreaming has indicated that all is not well in that area. I can not afford to take a chance and continue with this situation as I have a lot of investigation and work to do associated to the legal and political situation associated to the cadetship, the Ngarrindjeri associated, the university, the EPA, DERRW and the CIU. The issue of my Aboriginal confirmation is directly linked to the situation with the EPA and my cadetship; as you can see, this whole matter is very convoluted and I do need to sort out the issues that are affecting me. We have rising living costs and debts that include HEX so I must honour my family and my financial commitments as my children are at an age where they are requiring substantial financial support and without my business activities or employment, I can not sustain that. I will let you know if I can proceed with my work on the Coorong when I get a response from the EPA. I will request a meeting as matters proceed, with a rep for the UniSA SMG as I am very unhappy as to what has transpired associated to my work placement (organized by Frazer Vicory with DLWBC), the ensuing IPA cadetship offer and all that surrounds those issues.

Yours sincerely Kym Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment